Chiropractic in Singapore:
What is it and how does it work?
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is a natural form of health care that uses spinal adjustments to correct spinal misalignments and restore proper function to the nervous system, helping your body to heal naturally. Rather than using drugs or surgeries, a chiropractic “spinal adjustment” – the application of a precise force to a specific part of the spine – corrects the misalignment, restoring normal nerve function and helping your body to recuperate.
The philosophy of Chiropractic is based on the following principles:
- All bodily functions are connected and interdependent
- A healthy body requires a healthy nerve system. The spine, in particular, plays a vital role in ensuring proper nerve function by protecting the spinal cord so information can pass freely between the brain and the body.
- When the spine and the rest of the body systems are balanced the body is better able to heal and regulate itself.
- When the spine is out of balance, so is the transmission of information, thereby causing the rest of the body to be out of balance. Over time, diseases and other health problems are the end result.
- Any healing process involves the whole body, not just the area needing healing. Everything is interconnected through the nerve system.
How does Chiropractic help with pain relief ?
A spinal misalignment can put pressure on a nerve and prevent proper brain-body communication. This is perceived by the brain as a “dangerous” situation requiring immediate attention. As a response to this perceived threat, the surrounding muscles go into a state of spasm – in order to protect the nerve from additional pressure being placed on it. These spasms are what cause neck and lower back pain, headaches, sciatica, slipped disc, and the many other conditions that can be helped with Chiropractic. Once the pressure is released from around the nerve through careful, gentle chiropractic spinal adjustments, the muscle spasms subside and the pain diminishes. Over time, and with repeated adjustments, the pain can be eliminated altogether while health and proper function in the area are restored.
What is a Chiropractic Adjustment?
Much like uncorking a champagne bottle or opening a can of soda, there is a similar release of pressure during an adjustment when the spine is gently pushed back into proper alignment. What many people call a “crack” is actually more of a “pop” as the sound which is made comes from a dramatic reduction of pressure – and stress – within the spinal joints, as well as in the surrounding muscles ligaments and tendons. Additionally, this is accompanied by movement of small amounts of nitrogen-based gas within the joint, having a pleasing and sometimes euphoric anesthetic effect. This is why most people say that adjustments feel really good.
How long will it take before I feel better?
Most people feel better even with just one visit, but to fully recover it will take longer. The reason for this is that most of the time these misalignment develop over months, or even years, long before the pain ever shows up. So the longer you have had it the longer it will take to treat, but not to worry our doctors can advise you after they have seen you for the first visit. Click the link below to get started.